So, should you spend $1000 on a Direct Mail campaign, or should you spend $1000 on being number one? There are a lot of things to consider, and it shouldn’t necessarily be an either/or proposition. However there are some cases when it is clearly worthwhile spending the money on one or the other. Both Direct Mail and SEO can delivery targeted measurable results.
However, SEO can be a bottomless money pit. It can be hard to know how much time or money will need to be spent on the work to get you to number one. Mainly it depends on the industry, your product and what the competition is like online, however here are some things to think about.
The case for Direct Mail
- If competition online is fierce, Direct Mail is going to be far less costly.
- If you are launching a new product or creating a new market, you probably wont have any online buyers yet, so you will need to do offline marketing to create customers
- SEO is not an engaging marketing technology. You cannot brand a company or product using SEO.
- You cannot target individual households or prospects with SEO.
- Direct Mail is an engaging medium. You can give away DVDs, Books any sort of in depth marketing material.
- There is no lower limit to direct mail in any market. A single hand-typed letter to the right person will get you the right business.
- Direct Mail works in the short term. You could launch and analyse a Direct Mail campaign in an afternoon.
The case for SEO
- If competition is low online, you could get away with spending less money to get to number one
- SEO has a complete set of analytics available. With a click you can find out where your customers are coming from, which links generate the most traffic etc.
- You know you can target people who are ready to buy, and people looking for more information. Every dollar spent on SEO will go towards targetting the right people.
- SEO can create long term results. Whilst it is true nothing online is fixed permanently, the right work done with on-page optimisation, and creating the right links to your site, can last a long time.
Do you have any thoughts one way or the other?